On 04/20/10 05:00 PM, Sunil wrote:
On 04/20/10 04:13 PM, Sunil wrote:
Hi,

I have a strange requirement. My pool consists of 2
500GB disks in stripe which I am trying to convert
into a RAIDZ setup without data loss but I have only
two additional disks: 750GB and 1TB. So, here is what
I thought:
1. Carve a 500GB slice (A) in 750GB and 2 500GB
slices (B,C) in 1TB.
2. Create a RAIDZ pool out of these 3 slices.
Performance will be bad because of seeks in the same
disk for B and C but its just temporary.

If the 1TB drive fails, you're buggered.  So there's
not a lot of point
setting up a raidz.
This is temporary. Please read my post again.

I know, the comment still stands.

You may as well create a pool on the 1TB drive and
copy to that.

3. zfs send | recv my current pool data into the
new pool.
4. Destroy the current pool.
5. In the new pool, replace B with the 500GB disk
freed by the destruction of the current pool.
6. Optionally, replace C with second 500GB to free
up the 750GB completely.

Or use the two 500GB and the 750 GB drive for the
raidz.
And lose my existing data on those 2 500GB disks?

Copy it back form the temporary pool, you are replacing your existing pool, aren't you? So you'll loose the data on it regardless.

Please, at least read the post before replying....:(

I did.

--
Ian.