On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:
>> And lose my existing data on those 2 500GB disks?
>>

> Copy it back form the temporary pool, you are replacing your existing pool,
> aren't you?  So you'll loose the data on it regardless.
>
>> Please, at least read the post before replying....:(
>>

> I did.

a little bit easier to read:

current condition:
- 2x500gb disks striped, contains data
- empty 750gb dan 1tb

target:
- 3x500gb raidz with third disk from 1tb/750gb

originally proposed method:
- create 3x500gb raidz using 500gb from 750gb and 500gb x2 from 1tb slices
- move data from striped source to new raidz pool
- destroy striped pool
- replace one 500gb slice at 1tb disk to 500gb disk previously striped
- optionally replace 500gb at 750gb (or 1tb) disk to another 500gb
disk previously striped

suggested method by Ian:
- create 1tb pool using 1tb disk
- move data from striped source to new raidz pool
- destroy striped pool
- create 3x500gb raidz pool using 2x500gb disks and 750gb disk
- move data back to new raidz pool

Using the former method will be slower because of using two components
in one disk, increasing write load.