On Apr 20, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Sunil <funt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have a strange requirement. My pool consists of 2 500GB disks in stripe which I am trying to convert into a RAIDZ setup without data loss but I have only two additional disks: 750GB and 1TB. So, here is what I thought:

1. Carve a 500GB slice (A) in 750GB and 2 500GB slices (B,C) in 1TB.
2. Create a RAIDZ pool out of these 3 slices. Performance will be bad because of seeks in the same disk for B and C but its just temporary.
3. zfs send | recv my current pool data into the new pool.
4. Destroy the current pool.
5. In the new pool, replace B with the 500GB disk freed by the destruction of the current pool. 6. Optionally, replace C with second 500GB to free up the 750GB completely.

So, essentially I have slices out of 3 separate disks giving me my needed 1TB space. Additional 500GB on the 1TB drive can be used for scratch non-important data or may be even mirrored with a slice from 750GB disk.

Will this work as I am hoping it should?

Any potential gotchas?

Wouldn't it just be easier to zfs send to a file on the 1TB, build your raidz, then zfs recv into the new raidz from this file?

-Ross