On 21/04/2010 16:35, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
From: Richard Elling [mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com]

On Apr 20, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Brandon High wrote:

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<solar...@nedharvey.com>  wrote:
there's a file or something you want to rollback, it's presently
difficult
to know how far back up the tree you need to go, to find the correct
".zfs"
subdirectory, and then you need to figure out the name of the
snapshots

There is one feature that OnTap has which I miss in zfs. Every
directory has a hidden .snapshot directory, so you never need to look
in the parents.

What happens when you remove the directory?

Same thing that happens when you remove the .zfs directory.  You can't.

I don't think it was the ".zfs" directory but the normal POSIX directory. For example:

/foo is the filesystem
/foo/bar is a directory in the filesystem

cd /foo/bar/
touch stuff

[ you wait, time passes; a snapshot is taken ]

At this point /foo/bar/.snapshot/.../stuff exists

Now do this:

rm -rf /foo/bar

There is a snapshot of /foo/bar/stuff in the ZFS model to get to it
you go to /foo/.zfs/snapshot/<name>/bar  and in there you will find
the file called stuff.

How do you find what was /foo/bar/stuff in the model where the .snapshot directory exists at every subdir rather than just at the filesystem root when the subdirs have been removed ?

What does it look like when the directory hierarchy is really deep ?

--
Darren J Moffat