In the original test, done by Jonathan, it seemed that way.  But after two
other people responded with their own repeats of that test, which concluded
with no problems, Jonathan retried his, and found that he just needs to
repeat the same "ls" command twice to get the proper result on the 2nd try.
He is running a very old version of Ontap, so most likely he's just seeing
the result of some bug.  But others don't have that issue.

The path is not lost.  The following all work just fine:
a/.snapshot/vol0_deleteme/b/c/d.txt
or
a/e/.snapshot/vol0_deleteme/c/d.txt
a/e/c/.snapshot/vol0_deleteme/d.txt

> It seems, the NetApp snapshot is a directory-level snapshot rather than
> file system snapshot. I cannot see how to merge the two, so perhaps
> adding such a feature to ZFS could not leverage the file system
> snapshot?

Again, in Jonathan's original post, that's what it seemed like.  But after
Adam and Tom replied showing they didn't have the same behavior ... Jonathan
reran his test, and got a different result.  Which concluded:

The .snapshot directory does indeed maintain a filesystem-level snapshot of
the whole filesystem, but it also provides an easy-to-access interface
within any subdirectory, even after renaming a directory.  It works.
Although Jonathan apparently saw a problem in an old version of the OS.