On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:
> root pool.  It's only used for finding other pools.  ISTR the root
> pool is found through devid's that grub reads from the label on the
> BIOS device it picks, and then passes to the kernel.  note that

Ok, that makes more sense with what I've experienced. The devid for a
USB device must change as it moves from port to port. When moving a
USB stick I built on one system to another, I had to run bootadm
update-archive from the LiveCD.

> I think you'll find you CAN move drives among sata ports, just not
> among controller types, because the devid is a blob generated by the

The testing that I did with moving the sata port may have been across
controllers.

> devid-proof rescue boot option?  Is there a way to make grub boot an
> iso image off the hard disk for example?

It's probably possible to use the LiveCD / LiveUSB with a custom grub menu item.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com