On May 12, 2010, at 3:23 AM, Brandon High wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com > wrote:
But who needs usability? This is unix, man.

I must have missed something. For the past few years I have routinely
booted with unimportable pools because I often use ramdisks.  Sure,
I get FMA messages, but that doesn't affect the boot. OTOH, I don't try
to "backup" using mirrors.

(..)
If it was possible to pass in a flag from grub to ignore the cache, it
would make life a little easier in such cases.

Recently I have been working on a zpool that refuses to import. During my work I had to boot the server many times in failsafe mode to be able to remove the zpool.cache file, so Brandon's suggestions sounds very reasonable at first.

However, I realized that if you import using "zpool import -R /altroot your_pool" -- it does NOT create a new zpool.cache.

So, as long as you use -R, you can safely import pools without creating a new zpool.cache file and your next reboot will not screw up the system.

Basically there's no real need to a grub option (actually for a kernel parameter) -- if you have a problem, you go failsafe mode and remove the file, then in your tests you attempt to import using -R so the cache is not re-created and you don't need to go into failsafe mode ever again.

best regards,
Eduardo Bragatto.