On Fri, 21 May 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

To be comfortable (I don't ask for "know for a certainty"; I'm not sure
that exists outside of "faith"), I want a claim by the manufacturer and
multiple outside tests in "significant" journals -- which could be the
blog of somebody I trusted, as well as actual magazines and such.
Ideally, certainly if it's important, I'd then verify the tests myself.

For me, "know for a certainty" means that the feature is clearly specified in the formal specification sheet for the product, and the vendor has historically published reliable specification sheets. This may not be the same as money in the bank, but it is better than relying on thoughts from some blog posting.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn