> From: Thomas Burgess [mailto:wonsl...@gmail.com]
> > Just dataloss.
> WRONG!
>
> I didn't ask about losing my zil.
>
> I asked about power loss taking out my pool.

As I recall:

> I recently got a new SSD (ocz vertex LE 50gb)
>
> It seems to work really well as a ZIL performance wise.  My question
> is, how safe is it?  I know it doesn't have a supercap so lets' say
> dataloss occurs....is it just dataloss or is it pool loss?

At least to me, this was not clearly "not asking about losing zil" and was
not clearly "asking about power loss."  Sorry for answering the question you
thought you didn't ask.

I would suggest clarifying your question, by saying instead:  "so lets' say
*power*loss occurs"  Then it would have been clear what you were asking.

Since this is a SSD you're talking about, unless you have enabled
nonvolatile write cache on that disk (which you should never do), and the
disk incorrectly handles cache flush commands (which it should never do),
then the supercap is irrelevant.  All ZIL writes are to be done
synchronously.

If you have a power loss, you don't lose your pool, and you also don't lose
any writes in the ZIL.  You do, however, lose any async writes that were not
yet flushed to disk.  There is no way to prevent that, regardless of ZIL
configuration.