40MB/sec is the best that it gets. Really, the average is 5. I see 4, 5, 2, and
6 almost 10x as many times as I see 40MB/sec. It really only bumps up to 40
very rarely.

As far as random vs. sequential. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I used dd to
make files from /dev/zero, wouldn't that be sequential? I measure with zpool
iostat 2 in another ssh session while making files of various sizes.

This is a test system. I'm wondering, now, if I should just reconfigure with
maybe 7 disks and add another spare. Seems to be the general consensus that
bigger raid pools = worse performance. I thought the opposite was true...