Yea. I did bs sizes from 8 to 512k with counts from 256 on up. I just
added zeros to the count, to try to test performance for larger files.
I didn't notice any difference at all, either with the dtrace script
or zpool iostat. Thanks for you help, btw.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pa...@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:21:15AM -0700, artiepen wrote:
>> 40MB/sec is the best that it gets. Really, the average is 5. I see 4, 5, 2,
>> and 6 almost 10x as many times as I see 40MB/sec. It really only bumps up to
>> 40 very rarely.
>>
>> As far as random vs. sequential. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I used dd
>> to make files from /dev/zero, wouldn't that be sequential? I measure with
>> zpool iostat 2 in another ssh session while making files of various sizes.
>>

> Yep, dd will generate sequential IO.
> Did you specify blocksize for dd? (bs=1024k for example).
>
> As a default dd does 4 kB IOs.. which won't be very fast.
>
> -- Pasi
>
>> This is a test system. I'm wondering, now, if I should just reconfigure with
>> maybe 7 disks and add another spare. Seems to be the general consensus that
>> bigger raid pools = worse performance. I thought the opposite was true...
>> --
>> This message posted from opensolaris.org

Curtis E. Combs Jr.
System Administrator Associate
University of Georgia
High Performance Computing Center