Sandon Van Ness wrote:
Sounds to me like something is wrong as on my 20 disk backup machine
with 20 1TB disks on a single raidz2 vdev I get the following with DD on
sequential reads/writes:

writes:

r...@opensolaris: 11:36 AM :/data# dd bs=1M count=100000 if=/dev/zero
of=./100gb.bin
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
104857600000 bytes (105 GB) copied, 233.257 s, 450 MB/s

reads:

r...@opensolaris: 11:44 AM :/data# dd bs=1M if=./100gb.bin of=/dev/null
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
104857600000 bytes (105 GB) copied, 131.051 s, 800 MB/s

zpool iostat <pool> 10

gives me about the same values that DD gives me. Maybe you have a bad
drive somewhere? Which areca controller are you using as maybe you can
pull the smart info off the drives from a linux boot cd as some of the
controllers support that. Could be a bad drive somewhere.

didn't he say he already gets 400MB/s from dd, but zpool iostat only
show a few MB/s? What does zpool iostat show, the value before or after
dedup?
Curtis, to see if your physical setup is ok you should turn of dedup and
measure again. Otherwise you only measure the power of your machine to
dedup /dev/zero.

--Arne