> On Jun 29, 2010, at 8:30 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:
>
> > Victor,
> >
> > The 'zpool import -f -F tank' failed at some point
> last night. The box was completely hung this morning;
> no core dump, no ability to SSH into the box to
> diagnose the problem. I had no choice but to reset,
> as I had no diagnostic ability. I don't know if there
> would be anything in the logs?
>
> It sounds like it might run out of memory. Is it an
> option for you to add more memory to the box
> temporarily?

I'll place the order for more memory or transfer some from another machine.
Seems quite likely that we did run out of memory.

> Even if it is an option, it is good to prepare for
> such outcome and have kmdb loaded either at boot time
> by adding -k to 'kernel$' line in GRUB menu, or by
> attempting import (type ':c' at mdb prompt to
> continue). In case it hangs again, you can press
> 'F1-A' on the keyboard, drop into kmdb and then use
> '$<systemdump' to force a crashdump.

I'll prepare the machine this way and repeat the import to reproduce the hang,
then break into the kernel and capture the core dump.

> If you hardware has physical or virtual NMI button,
> you can use that too to drop into kmdb, but you'll
> need to set a kernel variable for that to work:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/sending_a_break_to_o
> pensolaris
>
> > Earlier I ran 'zdb -e -bcsvL tank' in write mode
> for 36 hours and gave up to try something different.
> Now the zpool import has hung the box.
>
> What do you mean be running zdb in write mode? zdb
> normally is readonly tool. Did you change it in some
> way?

I had read elsewhere that set /zfs/:zfs_recover=/1/ and set aok=/1/ placed zdb
into some kind of a write/recovery mode. I have set these in /etc/system. Is
this a bad idea in this case?

> > Should I try zdb again? Any suggestions?
>
> It sounds like zdb is not going to be helpful, as
> inconsistent dataset processing happens only in
> read-write mode. So you need to try above suggestions
> with more memory and kmdb/nmi.

Will do, thanks!