I think the resilvering statistic is quite misleading, in this case. We're
using very average 1TB retail Hitachi disks, which perform just fine when the
pool is healthy.

What happened here is that the zpool-tank process was performing a resilvering
task in parallel with the processing of a very large inconsistent dataset,
which took the overwhelming majority of the time to complete.

Why it actually took over a week to process the 2TB volume in an inconsistent
state is my primary concern with the performance of ZFS, in this case.