Ok... so we've rebuilt the pool as 14 pairs of mirrors, each pair having one disk in each of the two JBODs.  Now we're getting about 500-1000 IOPS (according to zpool iostat) and 20-30MB/sec in random read on a big database.  Does that sounds right?

I am not sure who wrote the above text since the attribution quoting is all botched up (Gmail?) in this thread. Regardless, it is worth pointing out that 'zpool iostat' only reports the I/O operations which were actually performed. It will not report the operations which did not need to be performed due to already being in cache. A quite busy system can still report very little via 'zpool iostat' if it has enough RAM to cache the requested data.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn