> Is that 38% of one CPU or 38% of all CPU's?  How many CPU's does the
> Linux box have?  I don't mean the number of sockets, I mean number of
> sockets * number of cores * number of threads per core.  My

The server has two Intel X5570s, they are quad core and have hyperthreading.
It would say 800% if it was fully used.  I've never seen that, but I've seen
processes running at 350%+
> One other area of investigation that I didn't mention before: Your> stats
> imply that the Linux box is getting data 32 KB at a time.  How
> does 32 KB compare to the database block size?  How does 32 KB compare
> to the block size on the relevant zfs filesystem or zvol?  Are blocks
> aligned at the various layers?

Those are all good questions but they are going beyond my level of expertise.
That's why I'll be wise and soon retain the services of our friend Richard
Elling here for a few days of consulting :)
Thanks!Ian