On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Michael Johnson
<mjjohnson....@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm currently planning on running FreeBSD with ZFS, but I wanted to
> double-check
> how much memory I'd need for it to be stable.  The ZFS wiki currently says you
> can go as low as 1 GB, but recommends 2 GB; however, elsewhere I've seen
> someone
> claim that you need at least 4 GB.  Does anyone here know how much RAM FreeBSD
> would need in this case?

There's no such thing as "too much RAM" when it comes to ZFS.  The
more RAM you add to the system, the better it will perform.  ZFS will
use all the RAM you give it for the ARC, enabling it to cache more and
more data.

On the flip side, if you spend enough time tuning ZFS and FreeBSD, you
can use ZFS on a system with 512 MB of RAM (there are reports on the
FreeBSD mailing lists of various people doing thing on single-drive
laptops).

However, the "rule of thumb" for ZFS is 2 GB of RAM as a bare minimum,
using the 64-bit version of FreeBSD.  The "sweet spot" is 4 GB of RAM.

But, more is always better.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com