On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Michael Johnson
<mjjohnson....@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm currently planning on running FreeBSD with ZFS, but I wanted to
> double-check
> how much memory I'd need for it to be stable.  The ZFS wiki currently says you
> can go as low as 1 GB, but recommends 2 GB; however, elsewhere I've seen
> someone
> claim that you need at least 4 GB.  Does anyone here know how much RAM FreeBSD
> would need in this case?
>
> Likewise, how much RAM does OpenSolaris need for stability when running ZFS?
>  How about other OpenSolaris-based OSs, like NexentaStor?  (My searching found
> that OpenSolaris recommended at least 1 GB, while NexentaStor said 2 GB was
> okay, 4 GB was better.  I'd be interested in hearing your input, though.)
>
> If it matters, I'm currently planning on RAID-Z2 with 4x500GB consumer-grade
> SATA drives.  (I know that's not a very efficient configuration, but I'd
> really
> like the redundancy of RAID-Z2 and I just don't need more than 1 TB of
> available
> storage right now, or for the next several years.)  This is on an AMD64
> system,
> and the OS in question will be running inside of VirtualBox, with raw access
> the drives.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

using FreeBSD 9 w/ ZFSv15 using default settings, nothing in loader.conf
or nothing in sysctl.conf and a GENERIC kernel

12GB of memory seems to be all ZFS wanted to use, I have tried
machines with 32GB
but zfs never wants to use more unless you play with loader.conf settings

if I was building a small office NAS 12GB would be where I would start.
I run mostly whitebox hardware (asus motherboards desktop disks etc..)

in my experience, I have found FreeBSD to be much more stable than Open Solaris
but to be fair, I understand FreeBSD, and I have only loaded Open solaris

with default settings and the most ram I ever gave open Solaris is a 8GB machine
so if you wanted to go with Open solaris (for dedupe and such) I would
use a Lot of ram

from many people I have talked to 32GB of memory and Open Soalris is
really stable

--

Sam Fourman Jr.
Fourman Networks