On 2010-Jul-17 01:24:57 +0800, Michael Johnson <mjjohnson....@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'm currently planning on running FreeBSD with ZFS, but I wanted to
>double-check
>how much memory I'd need for it to be stable.  The ZFS wiki currently says you
>can go as low as 1 GB, but recommends 2 GB; however, elsewhere I've seen
>someone
>claim that you need at least 4 GB.  Does anyone here know how much RAM FreeBSD
>would need in this case?

I am running FreeBSD 8.x with ZFS on several systems.  From my
experiences, 2GB is a bare minimum and it seems a lot happier with
3.5GB.  Note that in any case, patching ARC to work around the out-
of-free-memory bug is fairly important.

>Likewise, how much RAM does OpenSolaris need for stability when running ZFS?

I have a SPARC OSol system that seemed OK with 2GB, though I never really
stres it.

--
Peter Jeremy