> I'm currently planning on running FreeBSD with ZFS, but I wanted to
> double-check how much memory I'd need for it to be stable. The ZFS
> wiki currently says you can go as low as 1 GB, but recommends 2 GB;
> however, elsewhere I've seen someone claim that you need at least 4 GB.
> How about other OpenSolaris-based OSs, like NexentaStor?
> If it matters, I'm currently planning on RAID-Z2 with 4x500GB
> consumer-grade SATA drives.  ...  This is on an AMD64 system,
> and the OS in question will be running inside of VirtualBox ...
> Thanks,
> Michael

Buy the biggest Chips you can afford and if you need to pair them (for
performance)
do so. You want to keep as many Memory Slots open as you can so you can add
more
memory later. I think you (or I) would be unhappy with a measly 4GB in a new
System
but in reality it would be OK.

If it is not OK (for you) then you have open Memory Slots in which to add more
Chips (which you are certain to want to do in the future).

Rob