On 7/23/2010 3:39 AM, tomwaters wrote:
There is alot there to reply to...but I will try and help...

Re. TLER. Do not worry about TLER when using ZFS. ZFS will handle it either way and will
NOT time out and drop the drive...it may wait a long time, but it will not time out and
drop the drive - nor will it have an issue if you do enable TLER-ON (which sets time out
to 7 seonds).  I run both with TLER-ON (disks from an "old" mdadm raid array)
and without (TLER-OFF) 1.5TB WDEADS.

That's reassuring. I guess the only time the issue will come up is when the drive starts to develop errors.

I can not speak for the WD EARS, but the WDEADS are fine in my home nas. I also
run 1.5TB Samsung Green/Silencer series and Seagate 11's. Others swear by
Hitachi. I would recommend the Samsung or Hitachi and not the new WD EARS which
have that 4k sectors or whatever it is.

I've been digging through the archives more and I'm starting to lean towards laptop drives. I found this discussion http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=468269#468269 and contacted someone else who has used 3 WD Scorpio Black drives in a 3 way mirror for a year without any problems.

This is mostly going to be a backup server so I'm not too worried about performance.

Re the CPU, do not go low power Atom etc, go a newish Core2 duo...the power
differential at idle is bugger all and when you want to use the nas, ZFS will
make good use of the CPU. Honestly, sit down and do the calculations on power
savings of a low power cpu and you'll see it's better to just not have that 5th
beer on a friday - you'll save more money that way and be MUCH happier with
your nas performance.

re. cards...I use and recommend these 8-Port SUPERMICRO AOC-USASLP-L8I UIO SAS.
They are cheap on e-bay, just work and are fast. Use them.

You do want alot of ram I use 8GB, but you can use 4. Ram is cheap, ZFS loves
ram, just buy 8.

IMHO (and that of the best practice guide) - you should mirror the rpool (o/s disk). Just
buy 2 cheap laptop drives and when installing choose to "mirror" them.

I can find some motherboards with 4-6 onboard sata ports. If I go with 2 USB flash drives for a mirrored rpool do you think that would be ok? Performance seems to be about the same as 5400 rpm laptop drives.

I hope that helps.