On Jul 24, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Fred Liu wrote:

>> Disagree. The benefits are not as great as advertised.
>
> Is it ZFS intrinsic flaw to realize it? I have lots of users who are addicted
> to NetApp's snapshot so much!

The tricky part is exporting FIDs over NFS in a way that allows you to 'cd ..'
from any .zfs direcotry (or snapshot within .zfs/snapshots) and end up back
where you started, because the snapshots are exported as part of the parent
filesystem, even though under the hood they are different vfs_t structures.

I'd encourage you to work on the RFE yourself - any implementation would
certainly be appreciated.  This possibility was originally why the 'snapdir'
property was named as it was, so we could someday support 'snapdir=every' to
export .zfs in every directory.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock