> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Geoff Nordli
>
> Anyone have any experience with a R510 with the PERC H200/H700
> controller
> with ZFS?
>
> My perception is that Dell doesn't play well with OpenSolaris.

I have an R710...  Not quite the same, but similar.

When you say "doesn't play nice with opensolaris," you're hitting a grain of
truth but blowing it out of proportion.  It's true that some stuff might not
brainlessly work the way you'd like.  And it's true that you'll be lacking
some functionality that you'd probably like.  But it's easy to quantify and
describe, and easy to describe the options of dealing with it, too:

#1  Optical drive, by default, in AHCI mode.  For some reason, apparently
using a chipset that osol can't handle.  So put the optical drive into ATA
or Legacy mode before booting.  Or use an external optical drive for
installation.

#2  On my R710, the perc driver wasn't included in the sol10 DVD by default,
so I had to download a special one from support.dell.com, and hit "5 -
insert driver disk" or whatever, during sol10 installation.  This was not an
issue for osol installation.

#3  OMSA provides the web-based gui to manage your raid card.  Not available
in sol10/osol.  Instead, find the appropriate MegaCLI for your device ...
which is really tough to do.  This is needed if you want the ability to
replace a failed drive without rebooting.

Once you overcome these things, it works great.