> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of valrh...@gmail.com
>
> 2. I'd also recommend avoiding the PERC cards, in particular since it
> makes drives attached to it impossible to transport to another system.

This is not true.  You can transport these drives to another system with
either a Perc, or any other form of LSI MegaRaid.

What's more, I'll advise staying away from generic SATA, because they're
impossible to transport to any system which is more advanced than generic
SATA.  ;-)  See?  It works two-ways.  And the same is true of all the other
HBA's out there which have any intelligence in them, too ... RealTek and so
forth.  It's all not compatible with each other.  Realtek drives have to
stay with realtek controllers.  LSI drives with LSI controllers.  Generic
SATA with generic controllers.  Etc.

One advantage of using the Perc, or some other HBA with battery backed
write-back cache, is a really big performance benefit for sync writes...
But not quite as big a benefit as using the dedicated log device ... But the
HBA is far lower cost than the SSD solution, and doesn't take up a drive
slot (or two).