On 14-Oct-10, at 3:27 AM, Stephan Budach wrote:

I'd like to see those docs as well.
As all HW raids are driven by software, of course - and software can be buggy.

It's not that the software 'can be buggy' - that's not the point here. The point being made is that conventional RAID just doesn't offer data *integrity* - it's not a design factor. The necessary mechanisms simply aren't there.

Contrariwise, with ZFS, end to end integrity is *designed in*. The 'papers' which demonstrate this difference are the design documents; anyone could start with Mr Bonwick's blog - with which I am sure most list readers are already familiar.

http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/en_US/category/ZFS
e.g. http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/en_US/entry/zfs_end_to_end_data

I don't want to heat up the discussion about ZFS managed discs vs. HW raids, but if RAID5/6 would be that bad, no one would use it anymore.

It is. And there's no reason not to point it out. The world has changed a lot since RAID was 'state of the art'. It is important to understand its limitations (most RAID users apparently don't).

The saddest part is that your experience clearly shows these limitations. As expected, the hardware RAID didn't protect your data, since it's designed neither to detect nor repair such errors.

If you had been running any other filesystem on your RAID you would never even have found out about it until you accessed a damaged part of it. Furthermore, backups would probably have been silently corrupt, too.

As many other replies have said: The correct solution is to let ZFS, and not conventional RAID, manage your redundancy. That's the bottom line of any discussion of "ZFS managed discs vs. HW raids". If still unclear, read Bonwick's blog posts, or the detailed reply to you from Edward Harvey (10/6).

--Toby

So… just post the link and I will take a close look at the docs.

Thanks,
budy