Hey all1

Recently I've decided to implement OpenSolaris as a target for BackupExec.

The server I've converted into a "Storage Appliance" is an IBM x3650 M2 w/ ~4TB
of on board storage via ~10 local SATA drives and I'm using OpenSolaris
svn_134. I'm using a QLogic 4Gb FC HBA w/ the QLT driver and presented an 8TB
sparse volume to the host due to dedup and compression being turned on for the
zpool.

When writes begin, I see anywhere from 4.5GB/Min to 5.5GB/Min and then it drops
of quickly (I mean down to 1GB/Min or less). I've already swapped out the card,
cable, and port with no results. I have since ensured that every piece of
equipment on the box had it's firmware updated. While doing so, I installed
Windows Server 2008 to flash all the firmware (IBM doesn't have a Solaris
installer).

While in Server 2008, I decided to just attempt a backup via share on the 1Gbs
copper connection. I saw speeds of up to 5.5GB/Min consistently and they were
sustained throughout 3 days of testing. Today I decided to move back to
OpenSolaris with confidence. All writes began at 5.5GB/Min and quickly dropped
off.

In my troubleshooting efforts, I have also dropped the fiber connection and
made it an iSCSI target with no performance gains. I have let the on board RAID
controller do the RAID portion instead of creating a zpool of multiple disks
with no performance gains. And, I have created the target LUN using both rdsk
and dsk paths.

I did notice today though, that there is a direct correlation between the ARC
memory usage and speed. Using arcstat.pl, as soon as arcsz hits 1G (half of c
column [commit?]), my throughput hits the floor (i.e. 600MB/Min or less). I
can't figure it out. I tried every configuration possible.