This sounds interesting as I have been thinking something similar but never
implemented it because all the eggs would be in the same basket. If you
don't mind me asking for more information:
Since you use Mapped Raw LUNs don't you lose HA/fault tolerance on the
storage servers as they cannot be moved to another host?
Do you mirror LUNs from storage servers on different physical servers for
the guests to achieve fault tolerance?
Or would you consider this kind of setup "good enough" for production
without making it too complex like above question?

> This is precisely the thing I'm interested in.  How do you do that?  On
> my
> ESXi (test) server, I have a solaris ZFS VM.  When I configure it...
> and add
> disk ... my options are (a) create a new virtual disk (b) use an
> existing
> virtual disk, or (c) (grayed out) raw device mapping.  There is a
> comment
> "Give your virtual machine direct access to a SAN."  So I guess it only
> is
> available if you have some iscsi target available...
>
> But you seem to be saying ... don't add the disks individually to the
> ZFS
> VM.  You seem to be saying...  Ensure the bulk storage is on a separate
> sas/scsi/sata controller from the ESXi OS...  And then add the
> sas/scsi/sata
> PCI device to the guest, which will implicitly get all of the disks.
> Right?
>
> Or maybe ... the disks have to be scsi (sas)?  And then you can add the
> scsi
> device directly pass-thru?

How to accomplish ESXi 4 raw device mapping with SATA at least:
http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1025

It does work as long as your hardware supports "VT", which would be any
modern computer.

- Ville