> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of VO
>
> This sounds interesting as I have been thinking something similar but
never
> implemented it because all the eggs would be in the same basket. If you
> don't mind me asking for more information:
> Since you use Mapped Raw LUNs don't you lose HA/fault tolerance on the
> storage servers as they cannot be moved to another host?

There is at least one situation I can imagine, where you wouldn't care.

At present, I have a bunch of Linux servers, with local attached disk.  I
often wish I could run ZFS on Linux.  You could install ESXi, Linux, and a
ZFS server all into the same machine.  You could export the ZFS filesystem
to the Linux system via NFS.  Since the network interfaces are all virtual,
you should be able to achieve near-disk speed from the Linux client, and you
should have no problem doing snapshots & zfs send & all the other features
of ZFS.

I'd love to do a proof of concept... Or hear that somebody has.  ;-)