> From: Saxon, Will [mailto:will.sa...@sage.com]
>
> What I am wondering is whether this is really worth it. Are you planning
> share the storage out to other VM hosts, or are all the VMs running on the
> host using the 'local' storage? I know we like ZFS vs. traditional RAID
and
> volume management, and I get that being able to boot any ZFS-capable OS is
> good for disaster recovery, but what I don't get is how this ends up
working
> better than a larger dedicated ZFS system and a storage network. Is it
> cheaper over several hosts? Are you getting better performance through
> e.g. the vmxnet3 adapter and NFS than you would just using the disks
> directly?

I also don't know enough details of how this works out.  In particular:

If your goal is high performance storage, snapshots, backups, and data
integrity for Linux or some other OS (AKA, ZFS on Linux or Windows) then you
should be able to win with this method of Linux & ZFS server both in VM's of
a single physical server, utilizing a vmnet switch and either NFS or iSCSI
or CIFS.  But until some benchmarks are done, to show that vmware isn't
adding undue overhead, I must consider it still "unproven."  As compared to
one big ZFS server being used as the backend SAN for a bunch of vmware
hosts...  If your goal is high performance for distributed computing, then
you always need to use local disk attached independently to each of the
compute nodes.  There's simply no way you can scale any central server large
enough to handle a bunch of hosts without any performance loss.  Assuming
the ZFS server is able to max out its local disks... If there exists a bus
which is fast enough for a remote server to max out those disks...  Then the
remote server should have the storage attached locally, because the physical
disks are the performance bottleneck.

If your goal is just "use ZFS datastore for all your vmware hosts," ... AKA
you're mostly interested in checksumming and snapshots, you're not terribly
concerned with performance as long as it's "fast enough," then most likely
you'll be fine with using 1Gb ether because it's so cheap.  Maybe you
upgrade to a faster or different type of bus (fc or ib).