On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:16:20 PST, Günther wrote:
i have the same problem with my 2HE supermicro server (24x2,5",
connected via 6x mini SAS 8087) and no additional mounting
possibilities for 2,5" or 3,5" drives.
on those machines i use one sas port (4 drives) of an old adaptec
3805 (i have used them in my pre zfs-times) to build a raid-1 + hotfix
for esxi to boot from. the other 20 slots are connected to 3 lsi sas
controller for pass-through - so i have 4 sas controller in these
machines.
maybee the new ssd-drives mounted on a pci-e (ex ocz revo drive) may
be an alternative. have anyone used them already with esxi?
gea

Hey - just as a side note..

Depending on what motherboard you use, you may be able to use this: MCP-220-82603-0N - Dual 2.5 fixed HDD tray kit for SC826 (for E-ATX X8 DP MB)

I haven't used one yet myself but am currently planning a SMC build and contacted their support as I really did not want to have my system drives hanging off the controller. As far as I can tell from a picture they sent, it mounts on top of the motherboard itself somewhere where there is normally open space, and it can hold two 2.5" drives. So maybe give in touch with their support and see if you can use something similar.

Cheers,
Mark