I haven't seen too much talk about the actual file read and write speeds. I
recently converted from using OpenFiler, which seems defunct based on their
lack of releases, to using NexentaStor. The NexentaStor server is connected
to my ESXi hosts using 1 gigabit switches and network cards: The speed is
very good as can be seen by IOZONE tests:

KB  reclen   write rewrite    read    reread
512000      32    71789   76155    94382   101022
512000     1024   75104   69860    64282    58181
1024000    1024   66226   60451    65974    61884

These speeds were achieved by:

1) Turning OFF ZIL Cache (write cache)
2) Using SSD drives for L2ARC (read cache)
3) Use NFSv3 as NFSv4 isn't supported by ESXi version 4.0.

The speeds seem very good and my VMs run smoothly. I do use a UPS to help
mitigate data corruption in case of power loss since the ZIL is OFF.

Here is an exceptionally detailed blog on how to achieve maximum speeds
using ZFS:

http://www.anandtech.com/print/3963

Gil Vidals / VMRacks.com