On 12/12/10 04:48 AM, Stephan Budach wrote:
Hi,

on friday I received two of my new fc raids, that I intended to use as my new zpool devices. These devices are from CiDesign and their type/model is iR16FC4ER. These are fc raids, that also allow JBOD operation, which is what I chose. So I configured 16 raid groups on each system and configured the raids to attach them to their fc channel one by one.

On my Sol11Expr host I have created a zpool of mirror vdevs, by selecting 1 disk from either raid. This way I got a zpool that looks like this: At first I disabled all write cache and read ahead options for each raid group on the raids, since I wanted to provide ZFS as much control over the drives as possible, but the performance was quite worse. I am running this zpool on a Sun Fire X4170M2 with 32 GB of RAM so I ran bonnie++ with -s 63356 -n 128 and got these results:

Sequential Output
char: 51819
block: 50602
rewrite: 28090

Sequential Input:
char: 62562
block 60979

Random seeks: 510 <- this seems really low to me, isn't it?

Sequential Create:
create: 27529
read: 172287
delete: 30522

Random Create:
create: 25531
read: 244977
delete 29423

The closet I have by way of caparison is an old thumper with a stripe of 9 mirrors:

Sequential Output
char: 206479
block: 601102
rewrite: 218089

Sequential Input:
char: 138945
block 702598

Random seeks: 1970

Getting on for an order of magnitude better on I/O.

Is there anything else I can check?

iostat are recommended elsewhere.

--
Ian.