Am 14.12.2010 um 03:30 schrieb Bob Friesenhahn <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us>:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Stephan Budach wrote:
>>
>> My current run of bonnie is of course not that satisfactory and I wanted to
>> ask you, if it's safe to turn on at least the drive level options, namely
>> the write cache and the read ahead?
>
> Enabling the write cache is fine as long as it is non-volatile or is flushed
> to disk when zfs requests it.  Zfs will request a transaction-group flush on
> all disks before proceeding with the next batch of writes.  The read ahead
> might not be all that valuable in practice (and might cause a severe penalty)
> because it assumes a particular mode and timing of access which might not
> match how your system is actually used.  Most usage scenarios are something
> other than what bonnie++ does.

I know that bonnie++ does not generate the workload I will see on my server,
but it reliably causes ZFS to kick out drives from the pool, which shouldn't
happen, of course.

Actually, I am expecting the Qsan controller fw, which is what is build into
these raids, has some issues, when it has to deal with high random I/O.

I will try now my good old Infortrend systems and See, if I can reproduce this
issue with them as well.

Cheers,
Budy