> From: Frank Lahm [mailto:frankl...@googlemail.com]
>
> > Don't all of those concerns disappear in the event of a reboot?
> >
> > If you stop AFP, you could completely obliterate the BDB database, and
> restart AFP, and functionally continue from where you left off.  Right?
>
> No. Apple's APIs provide semantics by which you can reference
> filesystem objects by their parent directory CNID + object name. More
> important in this context: these references can be stored, retrieved
> and reused, eg. Finder Aliasses, Adobe InDesign and many more
> applications use these semantics to store references to files.
> If you nuke the CNID database, upon renumeration of the volumes all
> filesystem objects are likely to assigned new and different CNIDs,
> thus all references are broken.

Just like...  If you shut down your Apple OSX AFP file server, move all the
files to a new upgraded file server, reassigned the old IP address and DNS name
to the new server, and enabled AFP file services on the new file server.

How do people handle the broken links issue, when they upgrade their Apple
server?  If they don't bother doing anything about it, I would conclude it's no
big deal.  If there is instead, some process you're supposed to follow when you
upgrade/replace your Apple AFP fileserver, I wonder if that process is
applicable to the present thread of discussion as well.