Am 08.01.11 18:33, schrieb Edward Ned Harvey:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Garrett D'Amore

When you purchase NexentaStor from a top-tier Nexenta Hardware Partner,
you get a product that has been through a rigorous qualification process
How do I do this, exactly?  I am serious.  Before too long, I'm going to
need another server, and I would very seriously consider reprovisioning my
unstable Dell Solaris server to become a linux or some other stable machine.
The role it's currently fulfilling is the "backup" server, which basically
does nothing except "zfs receive" from the primary Sun solaris 10u9 file
server.  Since the role is just for backups, it's a perfect opportunity for
experimentation, hence the Dell hardware with solaris.  I'd be happy to put
some other configuration in there experimentally instead ... say ...
nexenta.  Assuming it will be just as good at "zfs receive" from the primary
server.

Is there some specific hardware configuration you guys sell?  Or recommend?
How about a Dell R510/R610/R710?  Buy the hardware separately and buy
NexentaStor as just a software product?  Or buy a somehow more certified
hardware&  software bundle together?

If I do encounter a bug, where the only known fact is that the system keeps
crashing intermittently on an approximately weekly basis, and there is
absolutely no clue what's wrong in hardware or software...  How do you guys
handle it?

If you'd like to follow up offlist, that's fine.  Then just email me at the
email address:  nexenta at nedharvey.com
(I use disposable email addresses on mailing lists like this, so at any
random unknown time, I'll destroy my present alias and start using a new
one.)

Hmm… that'd interest me as well - I do have 4 Dell PE R610, that are running OSol or Sol11Expr. I actually bought a Sun Fire X4170 M2, since I couldn't get my R610 stable, just as Edward points out.

So, if you guys think that NexentaStor avoids these issues, then I'd seriously consider to jumpship - so either please don't continue offlist, or please include me in that conversation. ;)

Cheers,
budy