Ed,

Thank you for sharing the calculations. In lay terms, for Sha256, how many
blocks of data would be needed to have one collision?

Assuming each block is 4K is size, we probably can calculate the final data
size beyond which the collision may occur. This would enable us to make the
following statement:

"With Sha256, you need verification to be turned on only if you are dealing
with more than xxxT of data."

Also, another related question. Why 256 bits was chosen and not 128 bits or 512
bits? I guess Sha512 may be an overkill. In your formula, how many blocks of
data would be needed to have one collision using Sha128?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Peter