> I've also started conversations with Pogo about offering an
OpenIndiana
> based workstation, which might be another option if you prefer more of
> general purpose solution.
>
>       - Garrett

Just to highlight a point that seems often lost here - not everyone uses
Solaris/ZFS as a "file storage appliance"/"home NAS and
workstation"/"workstation". Sometimes, people want to run applications
on the machine too. :)

ZFS became such a focus and driver for Solaris that sometimes it feels
like the tail is wagging the dog. (Of course I'm writing this to the ZFS
list, so...)

I use ZFS for fileservers, sure. The primary application though is an
in-house database using ZFS to tie together 120TB worth of JBODs and 2TB
Constellations via LSI HBAs to present filesystems to a bunch of
processes on the box doing intensive data analysis. ZFS is great, ZFS is
good, indeed, ZFS is one of the drivers for why this is using Solaris
and not CentOS... but it matters that Solaris be a decent all-round OS,
not a tuned fileserver appliance.

Sometimes I'm left wondering if anyone uses the non-Oracle versions for
anything but file storage... ?

-bacon