OpenIndiana and others (i.e. Benunix) are distributions that actively
support full desktop workstations based on the Illumos base.

It is true, that the storage server application is a popular one and so has
supporters both commercially and others. ZFS is amazing and quite rightly it
stands out, it works even better when used with zones, crossbow, dtrace,
etc. and so its obvious to see what it's a focus and often seems the only
priority.

However is isn't the only interest, by a long shot.

The SFE package repositories has many packages available to install for when
the binary packaging aren't up to date. OpenIndiana is hard at work trying
to build bigger binary repositories with more apps and newer versions.
A simple "pkg install APPLICATION" is the aim for the majority of main
applications.

Is it not moving fast enough, or missing the packages you need?
Well that's the beauty of Open Source, we welcome and have systems to help
newcomers add and update the packages and applications they want, so we all
benefit.

Ultimately I'd (and I'm sure many would) like to have a level of binary
repositories similar to Debian, with stable and faster changing place repos
and support for many different applications, however that requires a lot of
work and manpower.

Bye,
Deano