On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com> wrote:

> For a lot of reasons, Solaris has a long list of very superior functionality
> that make is very appealing for appliance makers.  Right now, we see that in
> two areas:  ZFS for storage, and high scaleability for DBs (the various
> Oracle ExaData stuff).   I'm expecting to see a whole raft of things start
> to show up - JVM container systems (Run Your App Server in SUPERMAN MODE! ),
> online backup devices, firewall appliances, spam and mail filter systems,
> intrusion detection systems, maybe even software routers, etc...
>
> It's here that I think Solaris' strengths can beat its competitors, and
> where its weaknesses aren't significant.
>
> Sadly, I think Solaris' future as a general-purpose OS is likely finished.

    It has been a long time since I thought that Solaris made a good
"Workstation", SunRays not withstanding. The JDS spin of Gnome was an
attempt to get back into the Workstation space, but IMHO was not
really a player. Solaris' strengths have been on the "server" side and
some of the very serious innovation in Solaris 10 really solidified
that position (ZFS, dtrace, SMF, FMD, etc.). With this as the starting
point, it is easy to see how packaging Solaris into an appliance is
appealing.

    While I am mostly a Solaris admin, my desktop runs Linux and has
for over 5 years. The strength of the desktop tools consistently
available on Linux as part of the distribution was what converted me
over. Back in 1996 I had a dual CPU SPARC20 running
OpenLook/OpenWindows as my desktop and it was fantastic, but times
change.

--
Paul Kraus