Hi all,

I'm playing around with nearline backups using zfs send | zfs recv.
A full backup made this way takes quite a lot of time, so I was
wondering: after the initial copy, would using an incremental send
(zfs send -i) make the process much quick because only the stuff that
had changed between the previous snapshot and the current one be
copied?  Is my understanding of incremental zfs send correct?

Also related to this is a performance question.  My initial test involved
copying a 50 MB zfs file system to a new disk, which took 2.5 minutes
to complete.  The strikes me as being a bit high for a mere 50 MB;
are my expectation realistic or is it just because of my very budget
concious set up?  If so, where's the bottleneck?

The source pool is on a pair of 146 GB 10K RPM disks on separate
busses in a D1000 (split bus arrangement) and the destination pool
is on a IOMega 1 GB USB attached disk.  The machine to which both
pools are connected is a Sun Blade 1000 with a pair of 900 MHz US-III
CPUs and 2 GB of RAM.  The HBA is Sun's dual differential UltraSCSI
PCI card.  The machine was relatively quiescent apart from doing the
local zfs send | zfs recv.

--
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine