On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Peter Jeremy <
peter.jer...@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> - Is the source pool heavily fragmented with lots of small files?

Peter,

  We've some servers holding Xen VMs and the setup was create to have a
default VM from where others would be cloned so the space saving are quite
good.

  The problem we've started seeing is that a zfs send -i is taking hours to
send a very small amount of data (eg. 20GB in 6 hours) while a zfs send full
transfer everything faster than the incremental (40-70MB/s). Sometimes we
just give up on sending the incremental and send a full altogether.

  I'm wondering if it has to do with fragmentation too. Has anyone
experience this? OpenSolaris b111. As a data point, we also have servers
holding Vmware VMs (not cloned) and there is no problem. Anyone know what's
special about Xen's cloned VMs? Sparse files maybe?

Thanks,

--
Giovanni Tirloni