On Wed, 4 May 2011, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Possibilities I can think of:
> - Do you have lots of snapshots?  There's an overhead of a second or so
>   for each snapshot to be sent.
> - Is the source pool heavily fragmented with lots of small files?

Nope, and I don't think so.

> Hopefully a silly question but does the SB1000 support USB2?  All of
> the Sun hardware I've dealt with only has USB1 ports.

Not such a silly question.  :-)  The USB1 port was indeed the source of
much of the bottleneck.  The same 50 MB file system took only 8 seconds
to copy when I plugged the drive into a USB 2.0 card I had in the machine!

An 80 GB file system took 2 hours with the USB 2 port in use, with
compression off.  I'm tryin git again right now with compression
turned on in the receiving pool.  Should be interesting...

> And, BTW, 2GB RAM is very light on for ZFS (though I note you only
> have a very small amount of data).

True, but the SB1000 only supports 2GB of RAM IIRC!  I'll soon be
migrating this machine's duties to an Ultra 20 M2.  A faster CPU
and 4 GB should make an noticable improvement (not to mention, on
board USB 2.0 ports).

Thanks for you ideas!

--
Rich Teer, Publisher