On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirl...@sysdroid.com> wrote:
>   The problem we've started seeing is that a zfs send -i is taking hours to
> send a very small amount of data (eg. 20GB in 6 hours) while a zfs send full
> transfer everything faster than the incremental (40-70MB/s). Sometimes we
> just give up on sending the incremental and send a full altogether.

Does the send complete faster if you just pipe to /dev/null? I've
observed that if recv stalls, it'll pause the send, and they two go
back and forth stepping on each other's toes. Unfortunately, send and
recv tend to pause with each individual snapshot they are working on.

Putting something like mbuffer
(http://www.maier-komor.de/mbuffer.html) in the middle can help smooth
it out and speed things up tremendously. It prevents the send from
pausing when the recv stalls, and allows the recv to continue working
when the send is stalled. You will have to fiddle with the buffer size
and other options to tune it for your use.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com