On May 8, 2011, at 7:56 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>>
>> That could certainly start to explain why my
>> arc size arcstats:c never grew to any size I thought seemed reasonable...
>

> Also now that I'm looking closer at arcstats, it seems arcstats:size might
> be the appropriate measure, not arcstats:c

size is the current size. c is the target size. c_min and c_max are the target
min and
max, respectively.

The source is well commented and describes the ARC algorithms and kstats in
detail.
http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c

What is not known is how well the algorithms work for the various use cases we
encounter. That will be an ongoing project for a long time.
 -- richard