> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>
> BTW, here's how to tune it:
>
> echo "arc_meta_limit/Z 0x30000000" | sudo mdb -kw
>
> echo "::arc" | sudo mdb -k | grep meta_limit
> arc_meta_limit            =       768 MB

Well ... I don't know what to think yet.  I've been reading these numbers
for like an hour, finding interesting things here and there, but nothing to
really solidly point my finger at.

The one thing I know for sure...  The free mem drops at an unnatural rate.
Initially the free mem disappears at a rate approx 2x faster than the sum of
file size and metadata combined.  Meaning the system could be caching the
entire file and all the metadata, and that would only explain half of the
memory disappearance.

I set the arc_meta_limit to 768 as mentioned above.  I ran all these tests,
and here are the results:
(sorry it's extremely verbose)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/543241/dedup%20tests/runtest-output.xlsx

BTW, here are all the scripts etc that I used to produce those results:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/543241/dedup%20tests/datagenerate.c
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/543241/dedup%20tests/getmemstats.sh
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/543241/dedup%20tests/runtest.sh