On Jun 27, 2011, at 17:16, Erik Trimble wrote:

> Think about how things were done with the i386 and i387.  That's what I'm
> after.  With modern CPU buses like AMD & Intel support, plopping a
> "co-processor" into another CPU socket would really, really help.

Given the amount of transistors that are available nowadays I think it'd be
simpler to just create a series of SIMD instructions right in/on general CPUs,
and skip the whole  co-processor angle.

There's more and more sensitive data out there, so on-disk crypto could be
deployed in more places to help prevent data loss (on both servers and
desktops/laptops), and those systems that don't do disk IO probably do network
IO, and so would be helped from a TLS/SSL/SSH perspective.

If I were AMD I'd seriously be thinking about this, as it'd help boost volume
and mindshare for a little while with all the folks doing any kind of web
activity would pick up kit for HTTPS—at least until Intel brought out a similar
thing.