On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Hans Rosenfeld <hans.rosenf...@amd.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 01:04:49AM -0400, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>> .. evidently doesn't work.  GRUB reboots the machine moments after
>> disk loaded from an alernate source.
>>
>> This is with SX-151.  Here's hoping a future version (with grub2?)
>> resolves this, as well as lets us boot from raidz.
>>
>> Just a note for the archives in case it helps someone else get back
>> the afternoon I just burnt.
>
> I've noticed this behaviour this morning and have been debugging it
> since. I found out that, for some unknown reason, grub fails to get the
> disk geometry, assumes 0 sectors/track and then does a divide-by-zero.
>
> I don't think this is a zfs issue.

If the problem is on zfs code in grub/grub2, then it should be zfs issue, right?

Anyway, for comparison purposes, with ubuntu + grub2 + zfsonlinux
(which can force ashift at pool creation time) + zfs root,  grub2
won't even install on pools with ashift=12, while it works just fine
with ashift=9. There were also booting problems if you've scrubbed
rpool.

Does zfs code for grub/grub2 also depend on Oracle releasing updates,
or is it simply a matter of no one with enough skill have looked into
it yet?

--
Fajar