It is partially an issue of maturity/age: placing those who have not had
a line authority position requiring HP status, into the HP quorum/group,
in order to strengthen the individual and also to strengthen the quorum.

This happens depending upon the make up of the quorums/groups in a
ward/branch. If a unit has tons of MP, then there's no problem in moving
a mature member into the higher quorum, where that person will fill more
comfortable. Secondly, the reality is: training in the elder's quorum
tends to be on a more basic level, due to the fact that one has all the
newly baptized 3 month elders and adult aged priests in the quorum.  The
HP quorum, besides getting the needed sleep, should also be getting a
higher level of doctrinal teaching. BTW, the "sleeping" one sees us doing
is actually the quorum receiving revelation from on high. We're actually
in a trance....  ;-)

Some strength needs to be left in an elder's quorum, but as long as there
are a bunch of experienced 40-something elders in the quorum, it usually
keeps younger brethren from opportunities of presidency and growth.

I'm very glad to have lived in Montgomery all these years, as it has
given me huge opportunities of growth in the quorums. I would have never
imagined I'd be in a bishopric at 28 years of age, for example. Our
elders quorums tend to be very young here, as there just aren't a lot of
bodies, and so people quickly get called into positions of line authority
requiring HP ordination.  But it forces all of us to step up to the plate
and serve.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Marc:
Okay, this is all very interesting and very useful (and I mean that
sincerely),
so let me ask another question: what about those of us who are unlikely,
for one
reason or another (assuming, of course, that we're reasonably righteous,
temple-recommend-holding active members) are highly unlikely to hold a
position
of line authority. Why are people like that ordained to High Priests.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com