On 2007-09-15 17:35:20 +0200, "Roger Ineichen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Ok, then I suggest:

* Provide an IRequestType interface in zope.publisher
* Provide an ++api++ traverser in zope.traversing which does
`getUtility(IRequestType, *name*)`.
* define class IBrowserSkinType(IRequestType)
* Leave ++skin++ for IBrowserSkinType or just make it the
same as ++api++
* Keep layer="" on <xmlrpc:view>, <browser:page> etc.

Comments?

If I understand the concept correct. This is a builtin backdoor.

Doesn't this allow to bypass the Apache rewrite rule?
With: http://www.foobar.com/++api++xmlrpc/doSomething

If the rewrite rule in Apache is:
RewriteRule (/?.*)
http://localhost:8080/++skin++OnlyHere/++vh++https:www.foobar.com:443/++$1
[P,L]

I suppose you're right. Even though I wonder if you couldn't also say

http://www.foobar.com/++skin++GetMeThere/doSomething

to get another Browser-Skin. But you're right, that you must never get a XML-RPC method with an BrowserRequest.

Or does the ++api++ namespace recognize the skin?
Which means the url rewritten url is.
With: http://www.foobar.com/++skin++OnlyHere/++api++xmlrpc/doSomething

But then, do we need to regsiter the ++api++ for each
layer? I guess this is not what you are asking for. right?

No, it's quite the same as with skins, i.e. You can concider one Layer as a Skin or aggregate multiple Layers into one skin.

My main issue on this thread is allways the same:
Skins are a security layer. And don't bypass them,
then this let us use views which we don't like to
provide in a layer/skin.

Right. But it's not *really* about security. For a browser you usually define how a web page looks like and thereby of course define what's possible and what not. For XML-RPC you define the API. But ultimately this is not security. Security is achieved by the security proxy. You must take care that an unprivileged user cannot access a method which he should is allowed to. And you do that via the security engine.

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891