Hi Brian, Dennis, Art!

Dennis Smolek <desopo...@gmail.com> wrote;

> I agree that the two are similar but I think thats just a coincidence. Equal
> is constatly changing their packaging, and in most cases doesnt use the
> multicolored orbs to represent anything. Especially in their most common
> venue, that of restaurant sugar caddies.
>
> -Dennis

With all due respect, I don't think the issue of the brand similarities that
Brian raised, and illustrated here;
http://briancoale.com/stuff/Equal-OOo3.png
should be discarded so easily. The similarities are FAR too coincidental, and
unintentional or not, this issue needs to be addressed otherwise it could lead
to legal issues, or more pressing from my point of view, it  would compromise
the integrity of the Art project. I think we have too many fresh ideas here to
be labelled unoriginal "brand borrowers".

By looking at that image, I think it should be obvious that Equal has more
right to use these motifs than OpenOffice.org does;

- Their dots are following a curve that originates from the "q" in equal, a
strong brand motif, based on the "peak" and "trough" in the curve, you get an
impression of equilibrium. Hence "equal", Like a sine curve. Our splash screen
curve is based on the SUN reverse-s, but when its lying down, where's the
association? I think the reverse-S should always be vertical. Otherwise it
dilutes the brand. This would be something for the new project to consider.

- The "dots" they use relate to the product itself, little pieces of refined
sweetener. I assume the multi-colour refers to the introduction of "flavour" or
"taste". We use colours because of the different applications, but why do we
use dots? where is the relevance of circles as applications? Even squares would
be more appropriate.

- The contour their coloured dots follow is used more consistently, more
professionally, than anywhere in OpenOffice.org material. On that package
alone, it is present on the "q", as the bottom border on the blue mast, in the
arrangement of the slogan AND in the coloured dots.

Besides, they did it first. We have a responsibility to change the Design now
that we are aware of it. If we say that we will stick to it and simply
"outlast" Equal, we will have adopted a series of irrelevant motifs based on
stubbornness alone. Right now OOo is plagued with arbitrary Design motifs;
- The mishaped gulls
- The wireframe gulls (which are showing their age as Design elements)
- The "reverse-s" which is used ad-hoc per design item
- A "3" which appears every so often with no fixed location, scale or typeface

I'm only saying this because I feel strongly that the coloured dots should not
be added to the OOo identity, not with such little relevance or thought, and
especially not now that we know they comprise the identity of another brand.
They were part of a splash screen that was selected by the community, yes, but
we shouldn't just start adopting elements because they were approved and it's
easy to go with the flow. Every Design lecturers I've known has stressed this
point: even though the market will determine the style, Designers should
Design, based on their knowledge of Design theory, not the market themself !

OpenOffice.org's identity should be forged out of strong connections and
intuitive analogies to the product and principles of the project. Not
haphazardous "borrowing".

Wow, long post. Sorry.
You're all Designers, what do you think?
How does everyone else feel about this?
Doesn't this tickle anyone else's Design ethic?

-Nik

PS. This might have offended some people, but it wasn't meant to. I just feel
strongly about the brand, and frankly, I'm watching it slip away.

PPS. Hey Brian, welcome to the crew!

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now:
http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/